Date Of Birth: December 20
Hometown: Fresno, CA
Current Location: Cody, WY
Favorite Zone: South Fork Valley
Proudest Achievement: The Gambler
Favorite Advocacy Org: American Alpine Club
Few are as dedicated to ice climbing exploration as Aaron Mulkey, who has spent the last decade systematically scouring the canyons of northern Wyoming and Norway for undiscovered ice lines. Seeking untouched frozen treasures deep within Wyoming's toughest mountain terrain, he often trudges for days in his boots, testing his own limits, and the patience of his climbing partners. But, the occasional gems he discovers fuel his determination, pushing him forward to find the next untapped treasure. As the ice begins to melt, Mulkey trades in his ice tools and climbing rack for a kayak and paddle. The exploration continues, this time through the spectacular watery gorges buried deep in the Rocky Mountains. His year-round hunt for uncharted ice and water in some of the most remote locations in the West makes him one of the most prolific pioneers of the Rocky Mountains.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: A friend took me out ice climbing for my 3rd time ever climbing and I fell in love with it. After a year Ice Climbing in Colorado I moved to Wyoming to one of the best places to ice climb in the continental U.S. to pursue untapped lines.
- Who were your influences early in life?: My father always took my out on long hikes and hunts into the middle of nowhere to get away from people. We explored a ton of rad places even though I probably complained all the time about it. Now I feel my dad's pain as I listen to climbing partner whine...
- What draws you to the outdoors?: I love exploring new places and getting off the beaten path. Looking for remote ice climbs is sorta like a treasure hunt.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: I love the psyche and energy that the brands attracts. SCARPA is also passionate about the outdoors and getting people out.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: SCARPA stands behind their products and they hold up to the harsh conditions beatings I put their shoes through. They also have a great fit and they consciously think about how their products will be used and how they need to perform vs making something just look good.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: The unknown or challenge of a particular day. I sorta feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: Getting outside!
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Red Bull!!!!
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Eye of the Tiger, no doubt eye of the tiger
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: People are judgmental, I cant reveal that information....
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: To spend an entire winter in Norway
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Someone that pushes me to perform at my best and never complains about long approaches or questions me if I know where I'm going.