Date Of Birth: October 26
Hometown: North Vancouver, BC
Current Location: North Vancouver, BC
Favorite Zone: Squamish
Proudest Achievement: 2-time Canadian National Champ
Favorite Advocacy Org: CASBC
I have been climbing since I was 9 years old, which is over half of my life. I started climbing because I looked up to family friends who were climbers, but I continued climbing because I loved it. It was the feeling of pure concentration, when you step onto the wall and nothing but the climb exists, which made me love the sport. I started competing at age 10, and continued until I was 17. After graduating high school, I planned to study Mechanical Engineering at the University of British Columbia and wanted to focus my attention on that. So I quit climbing. After about 8 months I realized that I was miserable, and began going to the gym a few times a week to climb with friends. Slowly I started training and competing again, and haven't stopped! Now my life is focused on climbing - I am still finishing my Engineering degree, but am also training full time as well as setting and coaching part time. Currently I am trying to compete on both the IFSC Boulder and Lead World Cup circuits, and hope to reach Olympic heights one day.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: I have known Sean McColl my entire life because our parents are close friends. Ever since I was young, I have looked up to him and wanted to be like him. So when he began climbing, I wanted to try it as well and I ended up loving it!
- Who were your influences early in life?: My parents, my climbing team coaches, and my "cousin" Sean McColl.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: Really nice looking rocks J
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: I like that Scarpa emphasizes personal relationships with their athletes, which makes it feel like a family.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: They fit my feet better than any products I've tried before, and I feel invincible when I put on a pair of Dragos (my competition shoes).
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: Thinking of my goals, and knowing that training is the stepping stone to reaching those. And on days that doesn't work, a good coffee!
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: I made finals in a big competition a day or two before, tried really hard, and am still sore!
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Chocolate milk!
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: Moana. I cry during all of those Disney/Pixar films.
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: An around the world climbing trip with monthlong stops in areas such as Hueco, Bishop, Rocklands, Switzerland, the Grampians, the Red River Gorge, Red Rocks, Spain......
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Someone with a good sense of humor and who knows how to spot well!
- Two truths and a lie: I raced go-karts as a kid. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I can solve a Rubik's Cube in under 1 minute.