Date Of Birth: March 28
Hometown: Houston, TX
Current Location: Empire, CO
Favorite Zone: Chugach
Proudest Achievement: Skiing 200 months in a row
Favorite Advocacy Org: POW
At a young age, a strong sense of adventure was instilled in me by my parents. They introduced me to skiing and the mountains of Colorado when I was 6, and my fascination with the outdoors began. As a teenager, I discovered the world of "extreme" skiing by watching the athleticism and antics displayed in the early MSP and TGR movies. At the age of twenty, I got a job at a ski shop, and began competing in IFSA big-mtn competitions, where I met many of the people that influenced me as a skier. I started venturing into the backcountry shortly after, where I realized the limitless creative potential, and individual ability to create one's own ski style. Recently I've become a FWQ competition judge, which for me, is a way of giving back to the sport that shaped my current lifestyle. I'm grateful to live the ski bum life I dreamed of as a kid, working hard all summer so I can ski and explore the mountains all winter.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: Working as a ski tech at the local ski shop introduced me to the ski industry. Big Mountain comps introduced me to my freeskiing family.
- Who were your influences early in life?: My Parents, Shane McConkey, and Doug Coombs.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: There's something very satisfying about venturing in the sometimes harsh, unforgiving natural world, being solely accountable for your own safety, and coming home safely at the end of the day. I feel like I learn so much about myself and my existence every time I step into nature.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: I like that the company strives to produce the best products using input from the people that use it the most.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: I know that every SCARPA product I put on has been designed and tested by the best athletes and engineers in the industry.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: Strong coffee, crispy bacon, and the first look out the window at a heavy blanket of snow or bluebird skies.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: Listening to my body is very important, sometimes I'm sore and tired, and it's just time to chill out
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Recovery: Coconut water. Apres: Sotol shots or Montucky tall cans
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Xxplosive (explicit version) - Dr. Dre
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: McConkey
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: Fly-in glacier skiing in Alaska
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Somebody that is strong, aware of their surroundings, and able to make quick, smart decisions.
- Two truths and a lie: I flew a plane when I was 12. I'm a high school dropout. I hate spicy food.