Date Of Birth: July 31
Hometown: Moore, OK
Current Location: Basalt, CO
Favorite Zone: West Elks
Proudest Achievement: Leaving hospital with newborn son
Favorite Advocacy Org: OIA
I started running pretty early on. I did the whole track and cross country thing with mild success in high school and then when I got to college ran for a year and gave it up due to fatigue and burnout. After some years of tooling around with mountain biking and triathlon, I moved to Savannah, GA for grad school and started working at a specialty running store and fell back in love with running. I eventually made my way out to CO where I fell in love with running in the mountains. Now I'm stuck in CO.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: After my father left my family, I was looking for an outlet. Coaches kept telling me to try out track. I finally gave in and tried it out in 8th grade. I'm still running 21 years later.
- Who were your influences early in life?: Of course my track hero was Steve Prefontaine, but my two biggest influences in running and life were my high school track coach, David Riden, and Robert Espinosa (owner of Fleet Feet Savannah). They taught me everything I know about running and how to be a decent human.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: It's what I need to keep my head clear of the noise. Everything makes sense as long as I can run. Plus being outside is just plain fun.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: I'm extremely picky about my trail shoes, and I like what they do. I don't have to second-guess what I have on my feet
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: SCARPA fits my foot well and the brand is very core and committed to the mountain lifestyle and pursuits.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: The knowledge that I get to go play around in the mountains for an entire day is enough to get me out the door. Even better if it's with training partners because then I have someone to share it with.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: If I'm feeling fatigued or know that I've been putting in too many hard day, I'll skip to avoid hurting myself. Or if a family matter comes up. Family first!
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Optimator
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Either dead silence, Blinded by the Light, or The Ants Go Marching
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: UP (The opening 10 minutes)
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: A cross-country summer tour of US trail races that are hand-picked based on a personal aesthetic.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Someone you know and trust in the backcountry and whom you don't mind spending hours in the wilderness with.
- Two truths and a lie: I can whistle. My senior art show in college was almost banned by the faculty board. I have been hit by a car while running.