Date Of Birth: October 30 1987
Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
Current Location: Boulder, CO
Favorite Zone: Index, WA and the Canadian Rockies
Proudest Achievement: Sending “life balance”, speed ascents on Denali and Rainier, The Lightning (M13-)
Favorite Advocacy Org: The Loppet Foundation, which gets underserved kids outside and active in endurance sports.
I was born and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where I grew up exploring the little-known mountain ranges of the American Midwest. I discovered climbing while cross country ski racing for Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, and fell in love with it while exploring the old-school climbs on Cannon Cliff and Cathedral Ledge. After stints as a professional ski racer and mountain guide, I now live in Boulder, CO, where I balance climbing and skiing with academic studies.
I love almost every kind of climbing, but I have spent the most time on ice, alpine, and winter climbing. I also really enjoy endurance climbs and ski mountaineering. I really love how much you can learn from mountain sports as well as the relationships that I’ve gained from them. Some of my accomplishments that I’m most proud of include mixed climbing ascents to M13-, exploratory rock climbing in the interior of British Columbia, alpine ascents in the Alaska Range, and the women’s speed records on Mt. Rainier and Denali.
In addition to climbing and skiing, I also enjoy bagels, naps, interior decorating, and singing while playing the ukulele.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: Primarily a slippery slope: I started running in middle school, which morphed into downhill and cross-country skiing, which led to rock, ice, and alpine climbing and backcountry skiing in time.
- Who were your influences early in life? : My dad, who has done triathlons, marathons, and other endurance races for as long as I can remember. My first running/ski coaches, who showed me the way.
- What draws you to the outdoors? : The beauty! There’s also an aspect of realness in the outdoors that I appreciate and that is hard to find in day-to-day life.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand? : The people and the commitment to making rock-solid and technologically advanced products.
- Why do you like/trust SCARPA products?: SCARPA products just work really, really well.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: Coffee, bagels, and not wanting to be late for my partners!
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: “My cortisol levels are too high”
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Scotch in the winter, anything cold and fizzy in the summer.
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: “6-Inch Heels”, Beyoncé
- What’s the last movie that made you cry? : Every movie makes me cry.
- What’s your dream trip or expedition?: Depends on the season!
- What makes a good skiing/climbing/running/hiking partner?: Lots of stoke, ability to see the big picture, critical thinking skills, sense of humor.
- Two truths and a lie: I have a poster of plants in my apartment because I didn’t want to water real plants. When I hiccup, I sound like a rubber duckie. One expedition, my entire snack food stash was a 1-kilo package of Oreos.