Date Of Birth: November 13
Hometown: Stalden, CH
Current Location: North Bend, WA
Favorite Zone: North Cascades
Proudest Achievement: Forbidden Tour
Favorite Advocacy Org: Access Fund
My roots in mountain sports lie deep in the Swiss Alps. This is where I grew up and measured my athletisism. I always loved skiing, but did not come to skitouring until my mid twenties. Once I started though, I did not look back and it is now a big part of my work as an IFMGA guide. The North Cascades have always held a special place for me, since they remind of what the Alps might have been like in a prime evil state. I just love the Cascade wilderness, just like the Alps mountain culture. These days I am just happy to be in these places and share them with my clients and friends. No need to prove anything to myself any longer. Great feeling.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: I needed to train for my new hair brained idea of becoming a Swiss Mountain Guide after NOLS had offered my $38 per day to be a NOLS instructor....
- Who were your influences early in life?: Sylvain Soudan, Walter Bonatti and the longing for uncivilized places.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: It is what keeps me balanced. It is where I make a living.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: SCARPA. An authentic outdoor shoe brand. I love companies like that.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: SCARPA products fit me very well, but as mentioned, SCARPA is a company that has remained very true to their core competency and I like that.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: The thought of the satisfaction that will follow at the end of the big day.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: At some point, you might just be tired enough that training again would be counter productive. A lesson I had to learn the hard way several times as a 50 year old.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Short double Americano.
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Eye of the Tiger lol
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: Seriously cannot remember right now
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: A trip to some remote mountains in the Himalaya.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Well, that would be somebody I can count on and who can count on me.
- Two truths and a lie: I am a politician, I have two passports, I speak 5 languages.