Date Of Birth: December 10
Hometown: Ithaca, NY
Current Location: Aspen, CO
Favorite Zone: Elk Mountains
Proudest Achievement: Grand Traverse course record
Favorite Advocacy Org: IMBA
I grew up downhill skiing every chance I got after school and on the weekends at Greek Peak in Central NY. This led me to college in Boulder and then on to Aspen. In Aspen, I love traveling fast and light through the mountains whether it's skiing, running, or mountain biking. For most of the winter I skimo race and have represented the US at the last 5 Ski Mountaineering World Championships. In the spring I like to put my skimo race fitness and skills to work in my home Elk Mountains and beyond. My fiance, Jessie Young and I also have a real passion for international adventure travel. Recent highlights include cycling in china, skiing in northern Norway, and trekking (skiing next time!) in Columbia.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: Skimo racing has always been the perfect sport in my mind as it combines so many of my favorite things: endurance racing, technical skills, downhill ski racing, and beautiful mountains.
- Who were your influences early in life?: My dad who got me out on nordic skis as soon as I could walk. Mark Falender who taught me a ton about the mountains after moving to Aspen.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: The adventure, challenge and desire to visit new places.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: Their passion for making innovative and reliable products to allow people to push themselves in the mountains.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: I love how they make lightweight products that can handle big days in the mountains and not breakdown over time.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: The excitement of a new challenge
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: Most of my mid-winter skimo training is on one of Aspen Snowmass's four ski areas. I am always happy to give up a training day for a big day in the backcountry because that is what it's really all about
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Upslope Belgian Style Pale Ale
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Welcome to the Jungle
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: I should probably spend less time studying maps and watch a movie every once in a while.
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: I'd love to go back to the Wrangell/ St Elias with my soon to be wife and SCARPA athlete, Jessie Young.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: I like skiing with partners that enjoy skiing on the same lightweight gear, and have similar risk tolerances. I tend to ski with the same people frequently and don't change up my ski partners much.
- Two truths and a lie: I am a good swimmer. I am half Chinese. I have to be on my A game to stay ahead of wife, Jessie Young.