Date Of Birth: June 12
Hometown: Kirtland, OH
Current Location: Grand Junction
Favorite Zone: Zion National Park
Proudest Achievement: Thunderbird in Zion
Favorite Advocacy Org: AAC
I began in Ohio, on top rope, on short sandstone cliffs, and afraid of heights. I have evolved into a bigwall-seeking first ascensionist who enjoys choosing the aesthetic line or a route that challenges my weaknesses. Zion National Park is my home away from home on the big, red, and sandy cliffs. I struggle to successfully manage my time between my wife and 2 boys, being a full-time high school science teacher and climbing. Each second outside is important to me be it in the sun, snow, or rain.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: My brother's friend introduced us when I was 18.
- Who were your influences early in life?: My father, he worked hard every day of his life as I attempt to follow in his footsteps.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: Few or no people. The wind, clouds, snow, rain and soil the trees/plants, wildlife, fresh air the adventure. I love everyday outside.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: Pride in workmanship. Walk through the production line sometime in Italy and you will never buy another brand. You will always get a well built pair.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: I can depend upon each pair being made to spec.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: The happy thought of being thrashed by the end of the day.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: As I get older, rest is necessary in order to perform at the highest level. But reality also kicks in and anything family related, especially playing with my sons.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Water
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: None
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: No rain in the Alps/Dolomites.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: On time and on the same page.
- Two truths and a lie: I hate training, I love the outdoors, Not all routes are worth climbing.