Date Of Birth: August 25
Hometown: Detroit, MI
Current Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Favorite Zone: Rifle, CO
Proudest Achievement: Rooted: Climbing Lebanon Documentary
Favorite Advocacy Org: Leave No Trace
I was born on August 25, 1982, in southeastern Michigan, USA. and it is where my family still resides. I currently live in the state of Utah. Climbing is a driving passion for my life. I have been fortunate to feel an innate connection to its practice from the beginning, and I have structured my life so that I can be dedicated to it. Before climbing, my life was consumed with alpine skiing and ski racing. I have skied since I was 2 years old. I began racing at the age of 12, and when I was 16, I moved from Michigan to Salt Lake City, UT to attend Rowmark Ski Racing Academy. After that, I was recruited to ski race for the College of Idaho. I still ski frequently. I was introduced to climbing through sport climbing, and it is my main pursuit. However, I enjoy many styles; traditional climbing, bouldering, deep water soloing, and ice and winter mixed climbing/dry tooling, mountaineering and ski mountaineering. I don't pretend to know what the hell to do with a life. I was born into one, and I'm just trying to make the most of it. To whom and where and when I was born created a framework, albeit a privileged one, and I've taken that framework and made it my own through the things that called me from when I was developed enough to listen. They are physical and mental activity, expression, creativity, challenge, and progression in nature with like-minded others balanced with time for solitude, reflection, introspection, learning, calm, and rest. It's not about the climbing or the skiing, but it just has been for me for some time, and it is right now. That's what I want. That's how I honor my life. That's how I'm living my dream.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: My family got me into skiing as soon as I could walk, and my climbing life began in 2005 when I moved to the Red River Gorge, KY to work at Miguel's pizza.
- Who were your influences early in life?: Billy the Kid, Stein Erickson, Alberto Tomba, Hermann Maier.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: The quiet way everything is just there working apart from my life -- especially my thoughts and opinions, hopes, fears, and dream -- or anyone else's.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: I love the history of the brand in its pride and devotion to quality of products for the pursuits it serves.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: See above.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: As if there was something else I'd rather be doing?
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: I'm not recovered enough from the last workout.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: BCAAs.
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Thunderstruck by AC/DC.
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: N/A.
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: I really want to live on a sailboat and take it around the world to climbing. Ice climbing at northern latitudes, and then deep water soloing at more central/equatorial latitudes.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Driven and thoughtful with balanced emotions. Positive and generous.
- Two truths and a lie: My father is from Syria. My mother's 4 grandparents were all from Poland. You can believe everything I say.