Date Of Birth: 11/17/71
Hometown: Soldotna, Alaska
Current Location: Durango, CO
Favorite Zone: San Juan Mountains, CO
Proudest Achievement: Remaining proficient in the mountains while running a business and raising two boys.
Favorite Advocacy Org: Friends of the San Juanns
As a 4 time Team USA member I've been skiing mainly with training/racing in mind for the last ten years. In 2017 my 15 year old son started skiing uphill as fast as me and downhill twice as fast (and became a fellow Team USA member). I've decided its time to step back from ski racing and focus more on adventure skiing. Completing the first ski of the Hardrock 100 course was amazing and inspiring. I plan to lengthen my list of peaks skied in the San Juans as well as further abroad. I'm always able to find new lines in the backcountry as my lightweight SCARPA/Hagan gear allows me to push further. These days I only ski on my SCARPA/Hagan set-up; resort powder with the kids, backcountry corn with my wife, big peaks with friends. Stay tuned for the next adventure.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport? : Spending hours in the woods behind my house on Cross Country skis as a kid.
- Who were your influences early in life? : Miracle on Ice, the 1980 USA hockey team
- What draws you to the outdoors? : I love looking across large swaths of land and seeing no signs of human impact other than my ski tracks.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand? : I like the cutting edge technology of the lightweight gear.
- Why do you like/trust SCARPA products (in general, not product specific)? : The quality. You have to be able to trust your gear when you're in the backcountry.
- What gets you out of bed on big days? : I have a hard time sleeping before big race/adventure days so I can't wait to get out of bed and get going.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training? : I'm hard headed so I don't skip. Usually end up doing too much which obviously is a negative.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage? : V8
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be? : Black Betty Ram Jam
- What's the last movie that made you cry? : I can't seem to sit down and watch a movie (no matter how many times my wife asks me….)
- What's your dream trip or expedition? : Traverse of the entire San Juan Mountain range
- What makes a good skiing/climbing/running/hiking partner? : The person that shows up on time, doesn't cancel and enjoys the adventure the harder it gets.
- Two truths and a lie: Lie-Lets climb that too, it'll only take ten minutes.
Truth-I can kinda still hang with my boys. The harder I go, the better I feel.