Date Of Birth: January 4
Hometown: Aspen, CO
Current Location: In the mountains
Favorite Zone: Messner Couloir on Denali
Proudest Achievement: Centennial Peaks Project
Favorite Advocacy Org: POW, AAIRE
Skiing has been my life! I'm a third generation New Hampshire skier who like so many migrated west as a teen to test my skills on bigger mountains. I arrived in in Colorado to attend CU, bought Lou Dawson's book, "Dawson's Guide to the Colorado 14ers" and it was game on. I quit ski racing and began exploring all the other amazing elements of mountain sports. I grew up as a climber, and took mountaineering courses as a teen, so in Colorado it made sense to push into ski mountaineering. Oh shit... this whole thing is supposed to be 200 words???? Well I try and be well-rounded in the mountains with my knowledge base in skiing, climbing, flying, running, biking, medical, guiding, writing, photography, filming, editing, etc... I love it all. I won lots of ski competitions, climbed and skied lots of big peaks, and have a family with three boys and an awesome skier wife. We have been together 20+ years. Oh and I wrote a couple books. "50 Classic Ski Descents of North America" and "Ski the 14ers."
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: My grandfather built a ski cabin in NH in 1938 and raised his kids (my Dad) skiing there. So naturally I followed in the family boot-steps.
- Who were your influences early in life?: For sure my early ski racing coaches were big influencers. They pushed us hard but were cool and lived the life.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: I love to be plugged in to nature. To speak the language of the mountains you have to practice that fluency frequently.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: I love the fact that it's a family owned and operated company with so much passion for what they do. All you have to do is visit the factory in Italy and sit with the elder Parisotto gentlemen and you can see the sparkle in their eyes for what they do.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: One of the big things for me is fit. Scarpa products just fit my boot-shaped feet.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: I love the entire process of having a vision or goal, creating a plan with partners or even solo, and then going to execute it.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: My kids are ski racing and I love helping coach and tech.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: I guess I won't be the only one saying a beer...
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Back in Black
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: Hmmmmm... its been a while.
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: Making a complete ski descent of K2. But it's never going to happen because my risk tolerance is dwindling.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: My best partners have been the ones that I can communicate with intuitively, the ones that you just know what they are going to do and where they are going to be. And the ones that I know can dig me out.