Date Of Birth: 1989
Hometown: Poway, CA (Basically San Diego)
Current Location: San Diego
Favorite Zone: The amount of time and experiences I've had in the Buttermilks has put it on something of a pedestal for me.
Proudest Achievement: In that sense, my proudest accomplishment has been my unwavering pursuit of personal improvement.
Favorite Advocacy Org: The NSF. Okay. Maybe the Access Fund.
I was introduced to climbing by my father my freshman year of high school. My initial fear of heights and general lack of athleticism made rock climbing a little daunting, but something about it had me hooked. For a decade since, the glory of the great outdoors and the deep camaraderie that the climbing community fosters has kept me coming back year after year. Over time, hard beautiful lines and challenging competitions have inspired me to develop a relentless training regimen and the stubborn personality that I've relied on for my greatest successes. My style and sense of aesthetic has been largely influenced by the Buttermilks of Bishop CA. I thrive on technical crimp climbs and I'm often drawn to taller lines. Despite years of effort, I seem to lack much of a talent for competition, but I plan to keep trying. Most of all, I strive to improve and to to push my own ideas of what is possible.
- Who were your influences early in life?: My Parents, who've always supported me and gave me the sturdy foundation that allowed me to keep testing my limits.
- Biggest idol in your sport growing up: I've always been inspired by people like Matt Wilder and Vasya Vorotnikov who manage the balance necessary to achieve excellence in both athletics and academia. I appreciate the masochistic will power of training friends like Paxti Usobiaga and Ueli Steck as well though.
- What draws you to the outdoors? : I appreciate natural beauty and feel refreshed after a day exploring. Also, theres a sense of accomplishment after a day outside. So often, even when I get a lot done, if I'm inside all day I feel somewhat sluggish and unproductive, like 'where did the day go?'
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: I love the products and the people. Everyone there seems to be psyched on what they do and making the best product possible.
- Why do you like/trust SCARPA products?: They fit my feet like a glove, and the style of the rand / edge of the Instinct line in particular suit my style perfectly. (Steep power edging)
- What gets you out of bed on big days? : A heroic amount of coffee.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training? : Severe injury.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage? : For recovery, you can go wrong with a quality whey protein. As far as some post climbing relaxing... My tastes are broad, most varietals of wine, beer, gin, sangria, cocktails. Always psyched to try new things, but generally I'll stick with regional specialties.
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: No idea, musical taste and motivation varies strongly with mood.
- What's your dream trip or expedition? : My trip to Rocklands, South Africa, last year was amazing. I'd love to go back, but for a true 'dream' trip... Honestly it would probably be somewhere like the early days of Hueco or Rocklands.
- What makes a good skiing/climbing/running/hiking partner? : Patience and resilience in the face of adversity, and contagious enthusiasm.
- Favorite junk food: Chocolate chip cookies. 100%