Date Of Birth: December 22
Hometown: Guelph, ON
Current Location: Cranbrook, BC
Favorite Zone: L'Usine Cave
Proudest Achievement: Bolting "El Matador"
Favorite Advocacy Org: Local fundraisers for climbers
Climbing has become part of my daily routine. Whether training, climbing, or competing, with every hour-physically or mentally, climbing plays a role. I was once asked, "why do you love climbing?" And the only response I could come up with was, "because without it, I feel short of breath". My focus is mixed climbing competitions. I travel the world every winter competing for Canada on the World Cup Ice Climbing Tour. I prepare months in advance in becoming ready to climb at my best. Throughout the "off season" I love to rock climb, spending most nights at my local crag or traveling to amazing places like Wyoming, Las Vegas, Kentucky, and my favourite: The Bow Valley (Canmore, AB). Over the years I've found that in order to be fitted with readiness, you must train...and train a lot. From that I've built "the machine" in my backyard. Back there; it's my fortress of solitude...where I learn, re-group, and try real hard. The backyard is outfitted with a 30ft Arch, bouldering walls/cave, and many training apparatuses. What I do, where I go, all of it wouldn't be possible without the support of my amazing family, and sponsors-those who believe in my dream and encourage me daily to keep going after it. "...REGULAR PRACTICE SIMPLY ISN'T ENOUGH. TO IMPROVE, WE HAVE TO BE CONSTANTLY PUSHING OURSELVES BEYOND WHERE WE THINK OUR LIMITS LIE AND THEN PAY ATTENTION TO HOW AND WHY WE FAIL." -BY JOSHUA FOER
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: I stopped at an ice festival (randomly) and thought, oh...yeah...I need to do this. I met the best in the world at that festival, finding inspiration from them, I knew that this was the future for me.
- Who were your influences early in life?: Will Gadd took me under his wing as a coach and mentor, guiding me through the processes of being my best: how to be an athlete, and how to try hard. Without him, I wouldn't be where I'm at now.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: The constant requirement to be your best. When I'm climbing outside, everything else turns off and I'm able to just be in the moment.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: From the very beginning, SCARPA fit has been spot on for my mold. The brand itself is always growing at the cusp of innovation, and with those that surround SCARPA; the family - it's the all-around perfect combo: Great fit, amazing people; a lifetime of performance and relationships.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: I love SCARPA products because of their ability to keep me fitted with readiness.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: Because it's another opportunity to try hard. It's another chance to get the "high point, to clip the chains, or to feel the freedom of being up on a rope.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: I don't skip training.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Chocolate milk. Or beer.
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Welcome to the jungle, Gun's 'n Rose
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: Braveheart
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: Hawaii, on the beach, feet in sand, buck of corona beside me. Seriously. I've travelled around the world a dozen times, to so many different countries...and yet still...still haven't been anywhere hot and tropical.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Someone who shares the same level of stoke/passion/commitment.
- Two truths and a lie: Tennis was going to be my future when I was younger, I once road a washing machine being towed behind a truck - going 60km/hr down a road, aaaaaaand my body still feels like it's 18 years old.