Date Of Birth: August 24
Hometown: Birmingham, AL
Current Location: Birmingham, AL
Favorite Zone: Horse Pens 40
Proudest Achievement: Stingray @ HP40
Favorite Advocacy Org: Southeastern Climbers Coalition
I found climbing as a self-conscious high schooler. I was short, skinny and didn't necessarily fit into the mold of the sports that I enjoyed. In Birmingham at the time, there were no climbing gyms; just an outdoor crag dubbed "The Boulder Fields". One afternoon, I followed a friend out to explore the boulders, and I quickly realized that this is what I was built for. Shortly after, I became aquatinted with a crew of guys who had been climbing awhile longer than me, yet they immediately brought me in as the "baby" of the group. Without realizing it at the time, my perception of this sport was forming into something that was not only a physical release, but also an amazing lifestyle. All of the sudden I was part of a tight knit crew who loved to laugh, try hard, and motivate one another. Every send was a joint effort; when one of us succeeded, we all did. So as I progress in my climbing, I am still tied to that same mentality. I find the social aspect just as important as the sport itself. I'm sure that if I'd grown in an environment full of climbing gyms, I'd probably be a hell of a lot stronger. But I'm happy with the way that it happened.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: Honestly, my climbing life was born from my intrigue with climbing shoes. I remember seeing a friend's climbing shoe for the first time and was so interested in the utility and specialization of their design. I had to find out what sport required such unique footwear.
- Who were your influences early in life?: Southern Sandstone Pioneers such as Casey Culp, Ben Henson, Dustin Vann, Craig Stephens, Drew Jackson, Nathan Smith, Nathan Fedor, and Bryson Lanier. They were all huge influences for me and how I look at the sport.
- What draws you to the outdoors?: The flora and fauna.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: The history, quality, and design that's incorporate into their products. They are absolutely the most progressive company in almost every type of footwear category that they are in.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: Speaking on their climbing shoes - not only do they have an amazing shoe for any and everything you need, their quality control is far better than every other brand. I consistently hear my friends who wear other brands complain about inconstancy in sizing when ordering the same shoes size as before. I've been with SCARPA exclusively for 5 years and have never had this issue.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: Good coffee and Stan Getz.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: "I probably need the rest anyway."
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: My favorite would be a good ol' Nesquik chocolate milk. High protein, High sugar, and High calorie. Everything I want after climbing hard.
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats. I'd dance in and everyone would inevitably join me.
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: Logan - the newest Wolverine movie. That shit gets real.
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: A three month European climbing tour that incorporates a good many wine tastings at various vineyards around the region. And good cheese. God I love good cheese.
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Truthfully..someone who brings good conversation, shares their whiskey, loves to laugh, knows how to spot, and doesn't talk about climbing when we're climbing.
- Two truths and a lie: I was on a swim team for 8 years. My ears are different from one another. The primary reason I pay for Netflix is to watch Frasier.