Date Of Birth: August 27
Hometown: Cincinnati, OH
Current Location: Bozeman, MT
Favorite Zone: Anywhere no one knows about.
Proudest Achievement: Couple FAs in Patagonia
Favorite Advocacy Org: American Alpine Club
Father of two, Entrepreneur, and Professional Climber
Whit Magro was in the Tetons of Wyoming at the age of sixteen when he tied in for his first time and discovered his passion for the sport of climbing. As things evolved he started pursuing this passion in the greater ranges of the world with expeditions to Pakistan, Nepal, Patagonia, and extensive climbing throughout the USA sharpening his skills. Magro says, "Since I was very little I have always had a very strong connection with nature and what it brings out in me physically. I was lucky to find climbing." His efforts as an alpine climber have received international recognition over the years.
Whit's hard working ethics also shine through in other aspects of his life. He is an owner of Stronghold Fabrication, a small business that specializes in custom ironwork and artificial climbing boulder construction. Stronghold Fabrication is quickly becoming one of the leading manufactures of climbing boulders in the country Check out www.strongholdfabrication.com
Whit juggles it all in Bozeman, Montana where he lives with his wife Kimberly and their two children.
- How did you get involved with your respective sport?: The Tetons first inspired me. I was 16 at the time. I learned then what I was good at. Some how a child hood of climbing trees and building forts in the woods set me up well for alpine climbing. I guess it was the need for adventure.
- Who were your influences early in life?: It was Jack Tackle, Doug Chabot, Alex Lowe, all local Bozeman climbers that had enormous impact on my climbing. It's what they were doing that influenced me in my late teen and early 20's. I chased after that,
- What draws you to the outdoors?: It's the disconnection from the norm and the adventures that are had.
- What do you like about SCARPA as a brand?: Italians build the best shoes in the world.
- Why do you trust SCARPA products?: SCARPA has earned my trust and respect from nine years of relentless abuse of their products all over the world.
- What gets you out of bed on big days?: Black coffee and the desire to do what I enjoy most.
- What is your best excuse for skipping training?: Family fun with my kids.
- Favorite recovery/apres beverage?: Responsible me would say water or protein shake, but a cold beer is hard to beat.
- If you had a baseball walkup song, what would it be?: Eye of the Tiger
- What's the last movie that made you cry?: Movies are not real; I feel no connection with them.
- What's your dream trip or expedition?: Returning to the Karakoram to climb the north ridge of Latok 1, once my kids can understand my decision for the risk of big mountain expeditions. (I attempted it in 2008)
- What makes a good adventure partner?: Positive attitude is everything, especially when shit gets real.
- Two truths and a lie: I have been on 11 international expeditions. I have done some insane free soling in my day. Pigs can fly.